rEACH have organised a series of Summer schools (e.g. Vrna) which encourage young career researchers to spend a number of days in the company of senior researchers. The purpose of the Summer school is to enable new researchers develop their projects with the benefit of discussion with each other and with experienced academics in the field of healthcare communication. The Summer schools are subsidised to some extent to assist attendance, in convivial surroundings, and designed to foster good research activity.
rEACH offers a three-day intensive Summer School that provides a unique opportunity for twelve talented early-career investigators in healthcare communication to exchange ideas and discuss their current work. The Summer School helps to prepare future leaders in communication research by facilitating the interaction between early-career and senior investigators and by helping to create an ongoing and supportive peer-to-peer network.
Summer School 2017
The next rEACH Summer School will take place from 4, 7-8 September 2017 at Regents University, Regents Park, London, UK.
The Summer School takes place in conjunction with the EACH summer Event, starting one day before the Summer Event and continuing the two days following the end of the Summer Event. Summer School participants also attend the Summer Event: the research workshops provided within the Summer Event form an essential component of the Summer School.
During the Summer School, participants are given a forum to debate key issues and problems in their research with faculty and other participants, to develop new ideas and perspectives. Three senior facilitators and an early-career facilitator will be present to ensure quality mentoring as well as a connection with the early-career network within EACH. Delegates have the opportunity to present their work from a theoretical, methodological and practical perspective. Each person will receive personal feedback. The majority of time therefore will be spent in small groups, with some time to work alone.
Call for Applications
How to apply
We welcome applications from any early-career investigator who is active in the field of healthcare communication research. We especially invite those who have not yet finished their PhD or who have done so in the past two years. Previous applicants who were not selected may re-apply. For acceptance of attendance to the Summer School, EACH membership is required.
Applications should include the following:
- A letter with:
- a brief synopsis of the participant’s current research topic in healthcare communication;
- a statement of why the participant wishes to be part of the Summer School;
- what the participant wishes to get out of the sessions; what issues they want to work on.
- CV (maximum of two A4 pages)
- Letter of support from supervisor, including a confirmation that the applicant is proficient in English.
Applications can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The call will close Friday 27 January 2017.
General eligibility requirements include that the candidate:
- is a junior investigator in the field of healthcare communication;
- is currently researching a relevant issue in healthcare communication;
- submits a complete application, including motivation letter, CV and letter of support from supervisor;
- has not participated in a previous rEACH Summer School.
In the selection, the following aspects will be taken into consideration:
- the candidate’s motivation of how they wish to use the Summer School to enhance their research work;
- the supervisor’s letter of support;
- the candidate’s career stage – priority is given to those who are currently undertaking their PhD and those who completed doctoral studies in the last two years;
- the faculty will aim to find a balanced mix of professional background, country/institute, topics, and stage of research career in the selection of Summer School participants.
Selected participants will be asked to send a 1-2 minute video with their elevator pitch presenting their research.
The ticket price for the Summer School is £870. This includes attendance to the Summer School and Summer Event; accommodation for five nights at Westminster University, London, UK; breakfast and lunch during the days of the Summer School and Summer Event; a discounted dinner during the Summer School; and a dinner during the Summer Event.
24 October: call for applications opens
27 January: call for application closes
March: confirmation of places for selected participants