Who Should Attend
The course is directed towards teachers of health professionals (for example medical students, nurses, physiotherapists, doctors) and we would encourage teachers with a variety of experience of experiential learning to apply.
“How to Teach” Course
This three day, non-residential course will be highly interactive, participant-centred and experiential. It will be facilitated by experienced teachers from the teaching committee of EACH: International Association of Communication in Healthcare. Feedback from previous courses has been extremely positive.
The course will be held in English and as much as possible will accommodate participants for whom English is not their first language. We are also aware that different institutions in different countries will have varying resources in terms of available teachers, simulated patients and technology.
The focus will be on how to teach, especially facilitation of small groups, rather than what to teach or how to develop a curriculum. As a result of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- apply educational theory to designing effective communication skills training;
- describe key components of effective experiential communication skills training sessions;
- use role play, video, small groups and simulated patients to enhance learner communication skills;
- structure feedback to enhance learning in communication training sessions:
- and describe strategies for managing large and small group dynamics in communication training sessions.
Programme of Courses
Please note this course is not about curriculum development in communication teaching or assessment. tEACH, the teaching committee of EACH: International Association of Communication in Healthcare, will also run 2 further courses in 2019:
- What to Teach in Communication Skills Teaching: Skills and Structure
- Challenges in Experiential Teaching
Participants are welcome to attend several courses in succession. Participants who are new to communication skills teaching are encouraged to attend in the order ‘What to teach’, ‘How to teach’ and the ‘Challenges in Experiential Teaching’
Date/Time 27 May 2020 - 29 May 2020 @ All Day