Oral Healthcare Blogs
Effective communication skills are fundamental to good clinical practice. Understanding the basic principles of effective communication should be an essential requirement for oral healthcare providers. As there is limited communication research conducted in the domain of oral healthcare, investigating what components contribute to a successful communication between the oral healthcare providers and patients will not only enable us to enhance the provider-patient trusting relationship, reducing misunderstandings and complaints, and improving patient satisfaction and compliance, but also inform patient disease prevention and therefore enhance oral health outcomes. Thus, we intend to establish a special interest group in communication research in oral healthcare within EACH.
By including communication research into oral healthcare, we would like to explore the following topics:
- Dentist-patient interaction during a communicative intervention;
- Impact of empathy upon the dentist-patient communication and their relationship;
- Patient-centred care in relation to dental anxiety;
- Inter-professional communication in providing quality oral healthcare;
- Key factors in dentist-patient communication that affect the decision-making process.
Below are blogs associated with this SIG.
- ICCH Special Interest Group Meeting: Communication Skills Teaching in Dentistry 5th September 2016 Siyang Yuan
- Invited SIG talk: ‘Teaching communication for dental students – experiences from Turku, Finland’ 23rd August 2016 Siyang Yuan
- Seminar Event: ‘Exploring pedagogic approaches to understand, communicate and deal with social inequalities in undergraduate training’ 5th August 2016 Siyang Yuan
- Inaugural meeting of the Special Interest Group of Communication in Oral Healthcare Launched in Dundee 27th June 2016 Siyang Yuan
- Members of Communication in Oral Healthcare attended EACH courses in teaching communication skills 15th April 2016 Siyang Yuan
- Welcome to the Blog of SIG in Communication in Oral Healthcare 29th March 2016 Siyang Yuan